The Religious Emphasis Committee of The American Legion, Department of Pennsylvania wants to recognize the ministry that our Post Chaplains are doing for our Veterans, their families and their community. We established the “Post Chaplain of the Year Award”. In order to qualify for this Award, the Post Chaplain must be involved in doing the following:
Chaplain of the Year Criteria
- Performance of Duties:
- Exemplary conduct of normal duties: e.g., attendance, dependability, and punctuality.
- Exemplary performance above and beyond the normal expectations of the position and duties.
- Nominations should include some detail about how the chaplain has nurtured the spiritual life of post members, cared for those who are ill and honored fallen veterans. It may also include mention of how as chaplain they serve the larger community.
- Personal attitude which is positive and professional in all contacts with others and which represents The American Legion and Post in the best possible way.
- Commitment to the ministry and duties of the Chaplain, as reflected by service to comrades and their families and responsiveness to their needs.
- A member of The American Legion in good standing with the Post, District, and Department.
Review Committee Composition and Instructions
- A committee assembled by the Department Chaplain will review nominations for the award and recommend a recipient.
- The committee shall include:
- The Department Chaplain
- Members of the Religious Emphasis Committee
- Instructions to the Committee
- The committee shall follow procedures and criteria as outlined in this document. However, if no candidates are nominated or judged by the committee to meet the criteria for Chaplain of the Year, the committee shall not recommend a recipient.
- All proceedings of the committee must be kept strictly confidential.
- The Department Chaplain will review with the Department Commander the recommendation for Chaplain of the Year prior to announcing the award recipient.
The following procedure is recommended for receiving and reviewing nominations:
- The Department Chaplain shall solicit nominations from District and Post Commanders through the State American Legion Headquarters.
- All nominations should be submitted to the State Chaplain by March 15.
- A nomination shall address the “Chaplain of the Year Criteria” and shall not exceed two type written pages.
- The committee shall review each nomination according to the selected criteria and recommend a recipient by April 30th.
- The Department Chaplain will review the Committee’s recommendation for Chaplain of the Year with the Department Commander by June 1st.
- The Department Chaplain will notify the recipient of the nomination and request attendance at the Annual State Convention in July to receive the award.