Keystone Boys State Application 2019-follow link https://www.paboysstate.org/
Pennsylvania American Legion Keystone Boys State is a unique week long summertime educational program that does not emphasize classroom lectures and textbook learning. Instead, it focuses on participation and personal experience in a model state, complete with governing bodies and elected public officials. It is designed to mirror the structure and operation of its respective state government.
The American Legion believes there is no better way to assure the survival of our republic than to train our young people in the ideals and objectives of American Government. Boys State is designed to supplement the information taught in high school civics classes. It is an activity born out of a need for youth training in practical citizenship, leadership and to instill a working knowledge of the structure and operation of government.
Keystone Boys State has the following objectives:
- to develop leadership and pride in American citizenship
- to arouse a keen interest in the detailed study of government
- to develop in the young citizens of boys State a full understanding of our American traditions and belief in the United States of America
- to arouse in the young citizens a determination to maintain our form of government, and from the Preamble to The American Legion’s constitution
- “to inculcate a sense of individual obligation to the community, state and nation, and to safeguard and transmit to posterity the principles of justice, freedom and democracy.”
- Only males who have successfully completed their junior year of high school and have at least one semester of high school remaining are to be considered.
- Any boy who has previously attended a boys State is not eligible to attend a second session.
- Only boys with outstanding qualities of leadership, character, scholarship, loyalty, and service to their schools are to be considered.
In the actual selection process, merit and ability are the two most important factors considered. No boys are permitted to attend because of either poverty or wealth. It is not a program for underprivileged boys nor is it a summer camp for recreation. Fees, or “tuition,” are paid by American Legion Posts, with little or no expense to a young man and his family.
Those applying for the Samsung Scholarship will need a copy of the military discharge (DD-214). If one is not easily available you can request a copy.
Click Here to find out more about requesting a copy of the DD-214
Click Here to go to National’s boys and girls state website
To participate or to find out additional information on Keystone Boys State at Department Headquarters at 717-730-9100